Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum
The Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum will open for the 2017 season on May 1, 2017, and will be open through October 31, 2017, from 10 am to 6 pm daily.
The Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum has become one of Michigan’s most popular destinations in the cultural tourism industry, attracting over 75,000 visitors each season. The museum is open every day May 1 to October 31, from 10 am to 6 pm. Museum patrons learn about the perils of maritime transport on the Great Lakes at the Whitefish Point Light Station, an Historic Site on the National Register of Historic Places. See the Whitefish Point Light Tower, in continuous operation for 155 years, the oldest operating lighthouse on Lake Superior.
Museum Admission prices for 2017 are:
- Adults: $13.00
- Children 17 and under: $9.00
- Children under 5: FREE
- Family, 2 adults and 2 or more children: $40.00
- Single Family, 1 adult and 2 or more children: $30.00
Climb the Whitefish Point Light Tower
Guided Light Tower climbs are available with a $5 donation ($4 with museum admission ticket) during our open season of May 1 through October 31, weather permitting. Your donation supports restoration of American Civil War Era Lighthouse. Please note:
- To climb the Whitefish Point Light Tower, all participants must sign waiver of liability.
- Participants must be able to physically climb 56 steps.
- No children under age 8 permitted, no exceptions.
- Must have appropriate footwear, no flip-flops and no bare feet.
- All cameras must have sturdy neck strap.
- Tours leave periodically throughout the day from the base of the Light Tower. Groups of 8 maximum per tour.
Applicable Discount Pricing:
- AAA Adult: $12.00
- AAA Child: $8.00
- Limited Barrier-Free Access Adult: $10.00
- Limited Barrier-Free Access Child: $7.00
- Children under 5: FREE
- Shipwreck Society Members with current card: FREE
- Coast Guard active duty with ID: FREE
A tour of the Shipwreck Museum Campus includes:
- Self-guided tour of the Shipwreck Museum Building & Exhibits
- 20-minute video presentation
- Guided tour of 1861 Lightkeeper’s Quarters & Exhibits
- Guided tour of 1923 Surfboat House & Exhibits
Visitors enjoy walking among several historic structures, recently restored by the Great Lakes Shipwreck Historical Society. New facilities provide restrooms, meeting areas, food and beverages, and even an overnight experience in the 1923 Crews Quarters Building. For further information, please call toll-free 800-635-1742.