Full-Time and Part-Time Seasonal Positions available
• RETAIL SALES CLERK
• MUSEUM CUSTODIAN
• HISTORICAL INTERPRETER
• MARINE OPERATIONS
Location: Whitefish Point, MI (11 miles north of Paradise, MI)
Season: April/May through October/November 2020
Shipwreck Museum Contact: Bruce Lynn, Executive Director: Blynn@shipwreckmuseum.com or 800-635-1742
The Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum, located at Historic Whitefish Point in Michigan’s scenic Eastern Upper Peninsula, is home to the oldest operating Lighthouse on Lake Superior. This National Historic Site hosts an approximate 200,000 people each year, while the Shipwreck Museum itself engages over 75,000 visitors through its historic structures each season. The museum opens on May 1 and closes on October 31 each year.
Each position features its own specific duties/responsibilities, but as an historic site that hosts a vast number of tourists each year, the ability to positively interact with museum visitors is very important. Basic duties listed below:
- RETAIL SALES CLERK– Operate a Point of Sale (POS) system, assist with inventory placement, develop a working knowledge of products in store, process incoming inventory, greet store visitors, etc.
- MUSEUM CUSTODIAN– Responsible for general cleanliness of museum buildings, picking up trash, sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, cleaning and stocking bathrooms, making sure buildings are secure, cleaning windows, and minor building maintenance and repairs.
- HISTORICAL INTERPRETER– Develop an historical knowledge of the Whitefish Point Light-Station, USCG Life-Boat Station and the US Life-Saving Service, engage/interact with museum guests, lead tours, Lighthouse tower climbs, and generally help visitors to understand the history of the site.
- HOUSEKEEPER– Performing a variety of cleaning activities in our B&B, the 1923 USCG Crew’s Quarters, such as sweeping, mopping, dusting and changing bedding. Ensuring all rooms are cared for and inspected according to standards.
- MARINE OPERATIONS– Crew on our research vessel, help to discover shipwrecks!
Work Schedule: Flexible work schedules available, willingness to work some weekends a must.
To Apply please contact Bruce Lynn at Blynn@shipwreckmuseum.com or via phone at 800-635-1742.