Thanks to funding from the Michigan Council for Arts and Cultural Affairs, the historic 1923 USCG Motor Lifeboat House now has professional, digital presentation equipment for its use as a video theatre and presentation facility beginning in the 2016 season. We thank MCACA for this funding!
The new equipment was purchased from and installed by AVI Systems, who has Michigan offices in Byron Center. The Shipwreck Society may now use the building for video presentations, slide shows, and lecture presentations, including GLSHS Speaker Series events. In 2016, the building will be available for use by community groups as well.
MCACA has also recently announced funding for exterior restoration of this facility, which will include barrier-free access ramps connecting it to the existing ramp that goes to the Shipwreck Coast Museum Store building. We are most grateful to the State for its support of the Arts in Michigan, and ask that our members thank their State Legislators for this funding at every opportunity.
The Motor Lifeboat House will be used in connection with the Navy Radio Building to allow more space for video audiences, as well as presentations of works of art.